Earlier this week, I was catching up on some blog reading and noticed a pattern…MovieTalk, MovieTalk, MovieTalk!
- Laurie Clarcq wrote about using MovieTalk with Despereaux on her Embedded Reading blog.
- Kristin Duncan wrote about using MovieTalk with The Paperman on TPRS Teacher.
- Bryan Kandel wrote about trying out MovieTalk for the first time with a dog commercial on his new blog.
- Carol Gaab tweeted about demonstrating the technique at an in-service back in January:
- Haiyun Iu wrote about her first experiences with MovieTalk on her blog, too!
After all of these repetitions, I got to thinking…anyone using MovieTalk in the TPRS world is using it because of Michele Whaley! She has blogged about it (somewhat) extensively, and in Anchorage especially has worked hard to provide us training and peer collaboration in the method. Isn’t it incredible what an impact one person can have? She discovered the method through a string of comments at the bottom of a Stephen Krashen article and got connected to Ashley Hastings, who seems to be the expert on the method at the university level. As far as Michele and Ashley know, there was only one high school teacher using MovieTalk before Michele started sharing about it on her blog. Pretty amazing!! It offers such compelling support for teachers to put their ideas out there and start blogging! All of those hours that we spend on rabbit trails through the internet, individually, become worth it when teachers across the nation and world benefit from our discoveries.