Here the lesson plans that I followed for teaching El Nuevo Houdini, Chapter 5:
- Introduce vocabulary for the chapter using “Una comida especial“.
- Pre-reading discussion using the questions provided in the Teacher’s Guide.
- I read Chapter 5 aloud to the students, circling and personalizing as we went.
- Discussed the reading using the questions provided in the Teacher’s Guide.
- Students took this reading assessment. It was administered open-book, because I am assessing their ability to read in Spanish, not their ability to remember. If they couldn’t figure out what one of the pictures was, I told them in English because, again, I’m trying to determine whether or not they understand Spanish, not whether or not they can figure out what a picture is. Alternatively, you could project page one of the file and have students work on it individually or as a class.
- We MovieTalked the Caillou video clip suggested in the Teacher’s Guide. I muted it as we did MovieTalk. When the characters were talking, we made predictions about what they were saying. After we went through the whole thing with MovieTalk, I played it back with the volume up so that we could check our predictions.