Here the lesson plans that I followed for teaching El Nuevo Houdini, Chapter 5:
Before reading Chapter 5:
Introduce vocabulary for the chapter using “Una comida especial“.
Pre-reading discussion using the questions provided in the Teacher’s Guide.
Reading and discussion
I read Chapter 5 aloud to the students, circling and personalizing as we went.
Discussed the reading using the questions provided in the Teacher’s Guide.
Students took this reading assessment. It was administered open-book, because I am assessing their ability to read in Spanish, not their ability to remember. If they couldn’t figure out what one of the pictures was, I told them in English because, again, I’m trying to determine whether or not they understand Spanish, not whether or not they can figure out what a picture is. Alternatively, you could project page one of the file and have students work on it individually or as a class.
We MovieTalked the Caillou video clip that was suggested in the Teacher’s Guide. I muted it as we did MovieTalk. When the characters were talking, we made predictions about what they were saying. After we went through the whole thing with MovieTalk, I played it back with the volume up so that we could check our predictions.
I received express, written consent from the publisher to share the materials that I created for this novel in this blog post. I am not compensated in any way by the author or publisher for writing this post.
More resources for teaching El nuevo Houdini
Pre-reading: Houdini Rope Escape
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 1
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapters 1-2
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 2
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 3
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 4
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 5
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 6
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 7
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 8
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 9
- El nuevo Houdini, Chapter 10
Using novels in class:
- How should I use novels in class?
- “Is this novel REALLY Level 1?” – Which factors contribute to text complexity?
- Traffic Light Activities to keep the reading process novel
- Use speed dating to help your students find their perfect book.
- Are my students ready to read this book?
- El Nuevo Houdini lesson plans
- Esperanza lesson plans
3 replies on “Houdini Chapter 5”
After MovieTalking Caillou va al autolavado, I had students record a speaking assessment using the same video. They told me what was happening in the video while they watched it and I assessed their speaking abilities. It went pretty well!
Great to hear!! I like the idea of doing a second go-round of the video as a speaking assessment! Was it formative or summative?