The Comprehensible Classroom
We offer a full range of Services for individual teachers, districts, and organizations.
The Comprehensible Classroom has provided on-site training for districts and organizations internationally since 2011. Led by Director of Training Elicia Cárdenas, our team of trainers support teachers in the transition to Comprehension Based™, Proficiency Oriented Language Instruction. All of our trainers are current and former teachers that have implemented with success the strategies that they teach in our workshops.
We work with districts and organizations to develop custom half-day, full-day, and multi-day workshops to meet your organizational goals. We also partner with host schools to hold workshops that are open to the public.
Our Professional Development Coordinator will work with your organization to custom-tailor presentations and workshops for your specific needs.
For more information, please send us a short message that includes the following information:
- What brought you to The Comprehensible Classroom?
- Tell us about your organization (name & location)?
- How many world language teachers would be participating in the training?
- What languages and grades/levels are these teachers teaching?
- Have your teachers had Comprehension-based training in the past (if so, what trainings and what was the topic)?
- Do you have any specific topics in mind?
- Are you seeking virtual or in-person training?
- If you are seeking district or department-specific training, what is the current instructional model in your district (in-person, virtual, hybrid), and what is the tentative plan for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year?
- What is your time frame and budget?
Our areas of expertise include:
- Comprehension-based teaching
- Proficiency-oriented language instruction
- Curriculum implementation
For the latest trainings available and sample training topics
- Curriculum adoption & implementation
Our trainers are available for Keynote presentations at State, Regional, Online, and Virtual Conferences.
Past and upcoming Keynote addresses:
CASLT 2020 (Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers), NTPRS (National TPRS Conference), PNCFL 2016 (Pacific Northwest Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages), MCTLC 2019 (Minnesota Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages), ICFTL 2021 (Indiana Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages)
Please email us for a current list of available courses.
Who we are
Martina Bex, Founder
Martina Bex is the Founder of The Comprehensible Classroom, whose curricula and training materials have been helping language teachers implement proficiency oriented, comprehension based language programs with confidence since 2010. Martina is internationally recognized for her leadership and expertise in the world language teaching profession as a teacher trainer and curriculum developer. A Spanish teacher by trade with experience in public and private schools and at the university level, Martina balances her work for The Comprehensible Classroom, including the Garbanzo App, with the needs of her five young children, for whom she is the full-time caregiver. Martina has been published in The Language Educator and presents regularly at state, regional and national conferences in addition to consulting with individual districts and organizations.
Elicia Cárdenas, Director of Training
Elicia Cárdenas is the Director of Training for The Comprehensible Classroom. After partnering with the organization for two years as a part-time Curriculum Mentor and trainer, Elicia joined The Comprehensible Classroom full-time as Director of Training in 2020. Elicia travels throughout North America to work with districts and organizations that represent teachers who are ready to transform their classroom instruction through Comprehension-based instruction. Elicia is also the founder of the Deskless Classroom.