- Beginner (Level 1), Novice (Levels 1-2)
- 2 weeks
These Cinco de Mayo lesson plans for Spanish classes include everything that you need to tackle this misunderstood holiday with your Spanish students, from a distance!
This pack combines elements from both the top-selling Cinco de Mayo lessons and our basic Cinco de Mayo lesson for beginning language learners. All texts are in Spanish, written for students to understand the historical and cultural significance of this celebration in the US and Mexico. Audio versions of the texts, recorded by Nelly Andrade-Hughes, are provided as well. It includes more than 20 resources that are broken down into 9 suggested lessons, each one intended to take students 20-30 minutes to complete.
The 3 core texts that are provided are Embedded Readings, and so they can be assigned separately for differentiation or can be assigned in sequence to support student understanding as they read them in a series, adding in more details each time.
- A Level 1 reading in Spanish about the history of Cinco de Mayo
- reading activities for the Level 1 text (including a glyph!)
- listening activities for the Level 1 text
- A Level 2 reading in Spanish about the history of Cinco de Mayo
- reading activities for the Level 2 text (including a glyph!)
- listening activities for the Level 2 text
- A Level 3 reading in Spanish about the history of Cinco de Mayo
- reading activities for the Level 3 text
- listening activities for the Level 3 text
- A glyph with T/F questions in Spanish to be used after reading
- Video-based activities for 4 videos
- An infographic interpretation activity
- Texts in Spanish about four common elements of Cinco de Mayo celebrations
- reading activities for the common elements texts
- listening activities for the common elements texts
- A post-reading review game
- A suggested lesson sequence, by level
- Answer keys
- ADDED IN 2021: A slideshow for the unit
- ADDED IN 2021: Hybrid instructions - for teachers that own all of our Cinco de Mayo resources to know how to best combine them to meet the needs of Hybrid instructional models.
NOTE TO BUYERS: 4 of the 20 resources are Slides-based listening activities. The audio files cannot be pre-embedded in the listening activities due to Google Drive play quotas. Upon purchase, you will receive access to a folder of audio files and a tutorial showing you exactly where to insert them for students to be able to listen and complete the activities at the same time! Depending on your Learning Management System and your Operating System, you may experience significant trouble embedding the audio files.