- Beginner (Level 1), Novice (Levels 1-2)
- Google Drive
- 1 week
This set of unit plans will introduce el Día de Muertos to your Level 1 Spanish students through a series of simple readings and authentic resources. This unit was written by Martina Bex and Nelly Andrade-Hughes, and it covers:
- ¿Qué es el Día de Muertos?
- El altar de muertos
- Las calaveras y las calacas
- La flor de cempasúchil
- Los alebrijes
- Las mariposas monarca
The plans are laid out for a minimum of 4 days of 45+ minute instruction, plus an optional summative assessment suggestion for the unit.
As with all of our Flex units, daily lesson plans are provided for multiple instructional contexts. Materials and instructions for every single activity are provided for the following contexts:
- Classroom students (attending class at school)
- Livestream students (that are attending classes being taught at the school from home)
- Synchronous virtual students (teacher + students are in class together in Zoom or other video conferencing software)
- Asynchronous virtual students (working independently on course material).
All readings are in Spanish, and all tasks provided for authentic resources are appropriate for Level 1 Spanish students.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY:
This product includes some PDFs and some Google Slides resources. The Google Slides resources will work with any Google-compatible Learning Management System (such as Google Classroom, Schoology, or Canvas), and they can be downloaded as a Powerpoint for use in Microsoft TEAMS.
DÍA DE MUERTOS RESOURCES:
- Day of the Dead | BUNDLE + COCO
- El Día de los Muertos Strip BINGO in Spanish
- El Día de Muertos | Las calaveras de Chilacayote
- El Día de Muertos | Los alebrijes de la Ciudad de México
- El Día de Muertos | Readings and more in Spanish
- El Día de Muertos and Las Mariposas Monarcas
- El Día de Muertos Flex | Level 2 Spanish
- El que sabe, sabe | Día de Muertos
- La leyenda del cempasúchil | The Legend of the Marigold
- Las mariposas monarcas