- Novice (Levels 1-2), Intermediate (Levels 2-4)
This set of materials will introduce students that are studying Spanish to sylbo, Spain's amazing whistling language.
The materials include three leveled readings in Spanish:
- The first reading is ideal for Novice students and presents an overview of the language (present tense).
- The second reading is ideal for Intermediate Low-Mid students and presents the origins of the language (past tense).
- The third reading is ideal for Intermediate High-Advanced students and presents challenges faced by the language and possible solutions for its preservation (subjunctive moods).
Work through the readings in sequence for maximum comprehension.
The materials also include:
- comprehension questions
- a writing activity with ACTFL inspired rubrics
- an article about Sylbo from El mundo en tus manos
- a compare/contrast activity for Intermediate-Advanced students to use with the third text and EMETM article
- suggested videos to watch
- a suggested communicative activity
- a detailed, suggested lesson plan sequence
- projectable slideshow versions of all readings (Google Slides compatible)
- answer keys
Consider teaching this unit to Novices during or after Somos 1 Unit 4: La Universidad.