This coming January, The Comprehensible Classroom is headed to California for a 2-day introductory workshop on Teaching and Assessing for Acquisition.
The transition away from teaching language courses based on a traditional grammar syllabus requires a shift in thinking as well as a shift in instruction and assessment practice. In this workshop, attendees will consider both the theoretical basis for Acquisition Driven, Comprehension Based™ teaching and assessment and its practical application. Attendees will explore these concepts through a combination of interactive demonstrations and relevant lecture.
What to Expect from Teaching and Assessing for Acquisition
The Comprehensible Classroom offers this workshop several times per year in various regions of the US. It is the best way for teachers to build a foundational understanding that of Acquisition Driven Instruction! As a result of this 2-day, in-person workshop, attendees will:
- UNDERSTAND the role of input and developmental order in language acquisition.
- EXPERIENCE most of a unit plan as a learner through interactive demonstrations.
- SELECT learning activities and language that are optimized for language acquisition and teacher prep/energy levels.
- IDENTIFY skills that support student comprehension in the target language.
- UNDERSTAND the role of assessments and grading to report proficiency based performance grades.
- CHOOSE the grading tools and solutions that are most appropriate for their context.
- FEEL confident that instructional decisions are backed by experience, expertise, and understanding of language acquisition.
Teaching and Assessing for Acquisition will be held at Lakewood High School in Long Beach, California. We are full of gratitude for the continued partnership of Long Beach Unified School District in hosting workshops like this one in order to provide low-cost training to area teachers.
DATES: January 20-21, 2024
INVESTMENT: $149 (plus optional Graduate Credit fee)