This is an activity that is meant to be used after you have finished asking a story.
- Break the story into chunks. If you have a smaller class (15ish students or fewer), each student can have their own chunk of the story. If you have a bigger class, several students may have the same piece of the story.
- Each student should have time to memorize his or her chunk of the story.
- Assign a “Beginning” point in your room (one corner) and an “End” point (the opposite corner).
- Students will line themselves shoulder-to-shoulder up to create a timeline for the story, from beginning to end. They do this by saying their segment in L2 to a classmate and listening to his or hers, then deciding which one happened first.
- If more than one student was assigned the same chunk, they line up front to back in the same horizontal position on the line.
- After students have decided that they are in the correct position, run down the line and have each student say his/her chunk LOUDLY in order to check them for accuracy.