We used the ads included in the Teacher’s Guide and sample discussion questions as our pre-reading activity for the chapter.
- Students read the chapter with a partner or individually (their choice).
- Then, students re-read the chapter while they completing this reading guide.
- When most students were finished, we chose characters (Brandon, Jake, man at Reparaciones Expertas, man at Pintura Perfecta, man at Hermanos Reparadores, Gerardo, Abuela), and we read the chapter aloud with me as the narrator and the characters reading their lines from their seats.
- We discussed the questions included in the Teacher’s Guide.
- We did a “This or That” activity that required the students to determine whether each statement on this slideshow was an event or just information (answer key at the end).
- Finally, we did a listening assessment instead of the chapter quiz included in the Teacher’s Guide. I gave the students a dictation (download the form that I use here) with these three statements: (1) Brandon salió de su casa en el carro de su padre y fue a la escuela. (2) Brandon le envió un texto a Jake porque Jake no estaba en el gimnasio. (3) Brandon vio un rasguño en el carro después del choque.
- We read and discussed Kristy Placido’s reading from the Teacher’s Guide about her family in Mexico. I inserted comments about the family that I lived with in Spain and my experiences while living in Oaxaca, as well as talking to students about their own families. This was one of my favorite discussions from this book!!