- Advanced (Levels 4-AP), Intermediate (Levels 2-4), Multi level, Novice (Levels 1-2)
- Google Drive, PDF
100 breaking news stories, 300 total articles, 200 worksheets, and dozens of additional activities– all in Spanish! El mundo en tus manos provides teachers with an unparalleled bounty of current content for their classes during the subscription year and a storehouse of materials to reuse for years to come.
EL MUNDO EN TUS MANOS is a bi-weekly news publication that has been providing comprehensible news summaries from Spanish speaking countries to students since 2016. It is a collaboration between The Comprehensible Classroom, Maris Hawkins and Nelly Andrade-Hughes. With multiple versions of each article, Spanish language learners in Levels 1 - AP and Spanish Language Arts/Spanish for Spanish Speakers courses will find articles that they can read and understand in every issue.
Subscribers save $60 on the cover price of the published issues!
Each article will be provided in three levels of complexity:
15 articles per issue total! 5 news stories x 3 versions each = 15 articles
- VERSION A offers the easiest to understand version of the news articles. This is the best fit for Novice-range learners.
- VERSION B provides more details, and context-specific words are footnoted with English translations. This is a good fit for learners that are breaking into the Intermediate range of Proficiency.
- VERSION C is the most detailed version of every article, and no vocabulary support is provided. This version is written for students that have acquired a wide range of vocabulary, such as Native speakers of Spanish, Heritage learners, AP language students, and learners in other upper levels that have engaged in extensive reading.
Each issue includes the following resources:
10+ worksheets per issue, plus whole-class activities and teaching ideas!
- LEVEL A WORKSHEETS: This Slides document includes a print-ready comprehension worksheet and answer key for every Version A article. Each worksheet is equipped with invisible text boxes and ready to be assigned as a Paperless assignment, if preferred. Answer keys provided. All Level A activities are in English and designed to help students interpret the text as well as checking for understanding.
- LEVEL B PRINTABLES: 5 unique comprehension activities, in Spanish, are provided for the Level B articles (one per article). This single file contains print-ready full-page versions of all of the Version B worksheets, plus answer keys.
- LEVEL B PAPERLESS ARTICLES: We provide a paperless assignment for each Version B article. Each file is a multi-page resource that is prepped for digital interaction (with moveable pieces, editable text boxes, etc.). It includes both the article and an interactive comprehension activity so that students can read the article and complete the activity as a seamless digital assignment.
- AUTHENTIC RESOURCE LIST: This document suggests several specific authentic resources related to the topic of each news story that you could choose to share with your students for further learning.
- CLASS ACTIVITIES: For teachers that choose to share and discuss the full issue (5 articles) with their class at once, this document provides instructional suggestions and ready-to-go activities to use primarily with Version B and C articles.
- PROJECTABLE ARTICLES: We provide a projectable Slides form of Version B of all five articles, making it easy for you to read the articles together with your students.
You or your school needs to purchase a separate license for each teacher that plans to use these stories in their classes (5 teachers = 1 full price subscription + 4 reduced price licenses).
When this volume is complete, it will contain 20 issues of news summaries in Spanish, published on the dates outlined below. It will also include bonus materials related to the news stories that are published throughout the year. All issues will be stored in the Subscription Google Drive folder, which is accessible via a link that is in the Access Document.
All articles will be published on Friday mornings so that you have time to load assignments for the coming week into your Learning Management System prior to the Friday afternoon deadlines held by many districts.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- Friday, August 18, 2023
- Friday, September 1, 2023
- Friday, September 15, 2023
- Friday, September 29, 2023
- Friday, October 13, 2023
- Friday, October 27, 2023
- Friday, November 10, 2023
- *Monday, November 27, 2023
- Friday, December 8, 2023
- Friday, January 5, 2023
- Friday, January 19, 2024
- Friday, February 2, 2024
- Friday, February 16, 2024
- Friday, March 1, 2024
- Friday, March 15, 2024
- Friday, March 29, 2024
- Friday, April 12, 2024
- Friday, April 26, 2024
- Friday, May 10, 2024
- Friday, May 24, 2024
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
AUGUST 18, 2023 ARTICLES:
- Encuentra con vida a los 4 niños desaparecidos en la Amazonia (Colombia)
- Hospital uruguayo usa drones con fines médicos (Uruguay) - Article 2
- Encuentran fósil de ballena colosal en Perú (Perú)
- Noticias de los deportes de este verano (Varios) - Article 3
- Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo recuperan al nieto 133 (Argentina)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ORDER FUTURE EL MUNDO EN TUS MANOS NEWS SUMMARIES FROM THE COMPREHENSIBLE CLASSROOM:
ARCHIVED EL MUNDO EN TUS MANOS NEWS SUMMARIES FROM THE COMPREHENSIBLE CLASSROOM:
- El mundo en tus manos | 2023-2024
- El mundo en tus manos | 2022-2023
- El mundo en tus manos | 2021-2022
- El mundo en tus manos | 2020-2021
- El mundo en tus manos | 2019-2020
- El mundo en tus manos | 2018-2019
- El mundo en tus manos | 2017-2018
- El mundo en tus manos | Spring 2017
- El mundo en tus manos | Fall 2016
- El mundo en tus manos | April-May 2016